It being the last few days of our time here, I've been trying to think of the most meaningful moments that I've had here. This month has felt like a whirlwind of different people and places, and it can be overwhelming to try and pinpoint exactly what God has been trying to teach me. However, one person in particular has really challenged my worldview, caused me to question my lifestyle at home, and helped me understand the love of God in a more powerful way.
Our team has really enjoyed the time we spent at Living Grace, which is a ministry that reaches out to homeless people in the community. At first the idea of interacting with homeless people was really intimidating - mostly because homeless people are so foreign to me. I was worried that I would have nothing to say to them, that I couldn't relate, that I wouldn't be able to encourage someone whose life is so tragically different from my own. I was wrong.
The second week into our trip I met a woman named Deena at lunchtime. I approached her as she was eating her lunch alone, and within seconds she began sharing her story with me. At 68 years old, she has been abandoned by both her husband and her daughters, raped, and left to live out on the streets without a home. While sleeping on the street, a couple of young kids stole all of her possessions, leaving her with nothing to her name. This woman is completely alone. She shared with me how angry she feels, how unjust her circumstances are, and how hard it is to keep from getting frustrated when your life is entirely about survival. As she spoke, I was struck with how normal she was. Talking to her was easy and simple, and hearing her story made me realize my stereotypes and prejudices about people in her situation. She told me that one of the hardest things about being homeless is that people pass you by and treat you like you're gargabe, like you're not even human. Her words struck me with such an intensity because I realized that I look at homeless people as subhuman as well.
In Matthew 25:40, Jesus says "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." I've heard that verse many many times before, but this time my heart really understood what it meant. Deena was the least of these. She is forgotten, bypassed, misjudged, and disheartened, and for one of the first times in my life I was able to love her instead of just passing her by. I got to pray with Deena and encourage her. The next two weeks I saw her again and spoke with her, hugged her, listened to her stories, and said goodbye. Its awesome to see her rely on God to protect her and keep her safe despite all of her hardships. She told me that when I go home I must stand up for people like her because I can make a difference. As she spoke, I felt like that was God talking directly to me saying, "you have seen both the horrible reality of injustice and the hope that God's love can bring, now go and do something about it."
As I prepare my heart to go home I am struck by how easy it is to forget that there are people out there like Deena who have so little and are reaching out for God's love. I'm not exactly sure what God wants me to take from my experiences with her. What I do know is that at Living Grace I saw God change people's lives in a radical way. There is no denying that God's love is powerful enough turn around the most dismal circumstances. I also know that the need is great at home. I feel like God is calling me to step up and do something about it, to humble myself and recognize that following God means loving the least of these.
Thank you for all of your support and encouragement. I speak for everyone by saying as sad as we are to leave such an amazing, beautiful place, we cannot wait to share our stories with the people that we love. :)
Denise
No comments:
Post a Comment