-Philip (amputee from Living Grace)
I don't think I've ever spent so much time staring at empty pages before. It's a struggle to even find a starting point. This journey has been so humbling, in so many ways. Beyond what I have been able to imagine, beyond my volatile attitudes and petty meandering doubts, God's hand is moving. I am so unfit. I feel so inadequate and yet God continues to use me. This place has gripped my heart in such a short time and to even think about leaving, even though we are only a few days past the halfway mark of this trip causes my stomach to drop a little.
This week we (excluding our lovely nurses who continued their ministry to Ocean View) spent time outside doing some good ol' manual labor (painting, to be specific) and worked on our tans. During the afternoons we all returned to kids and teens clubs in Capricorn and Overcome. The attendance was not nearly what it was for the Holiday clubs, but it was still a great blessing to see both new and familiar faces and spend some more one-on-one time with the teens and kids. On Friday morning we visited the patients of Living Care, Living Hope's medical facility.
Doubts began creeping in as we started our time there by singing to the patients and sharing Scripture with them as a group. What do I have to offer? Why am I here? I have nothing to say to these people. After singing we began mingling with the patients and before I knew it me and Eric found ourselves in the middle of an intense table soccer game with two of the men. I was almost immediately aware of the strength, determination, and good spirits of one of the men, an amputee named Philip. He'd had his leg removed just below the knee after a serious infection had attacked his foot and set into the bone. He told us he was thankful. Because it was below the knee it will make getting a prosthetic much easier and allow much more mobility.
Once again I was humbled. Later as we sat around conversing like old friends, Philip looked at me and Eric and said, "You know that God brought you all the way to South Africa, just to meet me? Doesn't that amaze you?" It does. It also amazes me to think that maybe this wasn't about me ministering to him, but about him ministering to me. I don't say that flippantly or selfishly. It's just something I've realized. When I put myself in a place where God can use me, in spite of all my weakness, it seems that I am the one who walks away blessed. And it is for that reason that I am sharing this story with you. In hopes that in some small way, it will be my blessing to you.
I would love nothing more than to continue rambling on about the lessons I am learning, but it is now 2 am and my creativity and storytelling abilities are both lacking. I thank you all for your loving prayer and support--it is much needed and much felt! Until next time :)
In Christ's love,
David
No comments:
Post a Comment